Good handling techique to assist a person to stand
A leg lifter to help assist a person to get their legs onto the bed
Good technique moving person up the bed using a slide sheet
Transferring a client using a standing turning device
Moving & Handling
Andrea Williams MCSP qualified as a Moving and Handling Trainer in 2003 and has since worked with many organisations to improve safer systems of work in care home establishments, private sector and primary care trusts. She has to date provided over 400 Moving and Handling assessments in a variety of different care settings.
As well as being able to support Individual Client Moving and Handling Assessments, Physiotherapy Services UK Limited can provide the following:
Moving and Handling Training for Client Handlers
Andrea can deliver training to NHS staff, Care Home establishments or offer advice and support to Individuals eg Family Carers. Services offered can include:
- Induction Courses for those new to caring
- Annual Refreshers
- Equipment demonstrations
- Hoist Assessors Courses
- Bespoke training for specific Client groups
- Individual Assessments and advice on transfers eg. Assisting a person to stand up from a chair, repositioning in bed, car transfers
Moving and Handling Support to Primary Care Trusts
Andrea Williams MCSP, has provided the following support to local Primary Care Trusts :
- Acted as Moving and Handling Advisor for 18 months
- Advisor to the Development Support Group at Community Equipment Services
- Study to analyse clinical risks of equipment in the community. Recommendations made, led to the development of a post for an ‘Equipment Review Officer’
- In-house training updates for multi-professional groups as well as bespoke training where appropriate.
- Commissioned to steer a pilot study over a 17 month period, offering Moving and Handling Support to Family Carers. Results of the study helped to secure the permanent development of a post.
‘I have more confidence in handling my mother by myself and with other carers, knowing that there is less likelihood of hurting her or myself’
‘My husband can now get in and out of the chair without help and getting in and out of bed is much easier. All helps me as his carer and helps him to be more independent’
‘I know how to move my wife effectively and safely. It has reduced the physical and mental stress on me’
‘Less risk, less worry, less stress’
Moving and Handling Training for Small Businesses
Moving and handling training for load handlers (inanimate object handling) can also be delivered and courses tailored suitable to staff requirements, e.g administrative staff, domestic staff.
Andrea Williams MCSP, has provided training updates for the private sector including the Armed Forces, Private Health Care Clinics and groups of Solicitors.
Consultancy advice can be provided on appropriate equipment needs in care establishments or domiciliary settings.
Individual Assessments for particular clients can be arranged and advice on transfers eg. Assisting a person to stand up from a chair, repositioning in bed, car transfers etc